Camping Kitchen: Shake and Wake Pancakes
This family-tested recipe is a great addition to your camp kitchen. Nothing says “vacation” like pancakes. Ditch the measuring tools, bowls and whisks, and use this recipe to serve up from-scratch pancakes while on the road. It can made on a camp stove, in an RV kitchen, or even in a cast-iron pan over the fire. These are thick cakes, almost like scones, and a great hearty breakfast for adventurers. Enjoy!
W Family “Shake and Wake” Pancakes
Before your trip, prepare as many quart jars of dry mix as you will need for the trip. Your mix will fill about half a jar (don’t use a tall jar, it will get messy on the other end). Bring another clean jar for prepping your wet ingredients.
Per jar (about 10 thick pancakes for each jar):
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon + ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
To make your pancakes:
- In the other clean glass jar add: 3 tablespoons melted butter (tip: you can melt this right in the pan you will use to cook), 1 1/2 cups milk, and 1 egg. Shake the ‘wet’ jar until the egg is nicely mixed in. (You can also whisk it around with a fork).
- Pour the wet jar contents into the dry jar ingredients.
- Replace the lid and shake for around 2 minutes. This is a great job for kids!
- Rest batter for 5 minutes.
- Heat a large pan over whatever surface you have. Grease with melted butter or just rub your butter pat on the pan. (Best to re-grease between batches).
- Pour out pancakes onto the pan. You will see the batter is lumpy, but it will taste good.
- Flip when you see bubbles.
- Eat when done on both sides!
Be sure to tightly seal your syrup bottle when you travel, and bring extra dish soap for sticky dishes. And enjoy!
Published: February 13th, 2014
Connect With Us
2 thoughts on "Camping Kitchen: Shake and Wake Pancakes"
- Five Spots to Ice Fish and Camp this Winter in British Columbia
- Converting a Utility Trailer into an RV to house us and the Motorcycle
- Tips to Keeping Mosquito Free
- Exploring Four of the Best RV Parks in the South Okanagan, British Columbia
- A Slice of the Mediterranean in the Heart of Vancouver Island, BC